Tuesday 26 April 2011

RIP Noddy

We lost Noddy a few days ago. She lived to the not inconsiderable age of 14 years which for a sheep was pretty good going. Our friend Sid had made his annual visit to shear both Noddy and Rosie and we came to the sad conclusion that Noddy was now too frail to undergo shearing. On welfare grounds (heavy fleece and the strong risk of being fly blown) we had to put her to sleep.
Noddy and her brother Big Ears had been born in Devon when I had a large flock of sheep. Noddy was a weakly triplet,and Big Ears was rejected by his mum, therefore both had to be brought up by hand. Fortunately I had sold the flock before the devastating foot and mouth outbreak, but I kept back Noddy and Big Ears because by this time they had become extremely tame. Big Ears was a one off, I think that because his mum had so little time for him he much preferred humans and considered us his family. Most orphan sheep retain a certain wildness but Big Ears behaved just like a family dog, he loved to have his tummy tickled and we used to have a real job keeping him out of our large Devon kitchen! Big Ears became one of the largest sheep I have ever come across and in keeping with his name had huge ears. One day, when we were still in Devon, I realised that Noddy and Big Ears were missing. I looked high and low to no avail. Finally I got into our ancient rather battered car and went up and down the lanes trying to catch a glimpse of them. I only came across one flock of sheep (there must have been 200 or so in one field) and just thought I would see if they happened to be in amongst them, (I had little hope), anyway I called out and to my absolute amazement I saw one sheep look up and that sheep had big ears.... two sheep made their way out of the flock and ran down the field, I opened the gate, opened the car door and they hopped in the back and I drove them home. They never strayed again. We lost Big Ears a few years ago but Noddy lived to a great old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment